8.06.2010

I am a bad speller.


I know what you're thinking...."NO WAY! But you're so articulate, well spoken and smart! You must have a brain tumor that impedes your ability to spell."

My thoughts exactly. As we've already covered - my penchant for over-diagnosing every minor symptom can lead to a lot of false trails, yet I have to think there's something not quite right about my inability to spell things correctly. Grammar? Mastered. Vocabulary? Excellent. General command of the English language? Well, you can read for yourself. Then why, for the life of me, can't I manage to tackle words like tackle (I get the l and e mixed up constantly)?

Thank goodness for computers and spell-check, otherwise I'm quite confident I would never have made it in to any AP or GT classes in high school - let alone be accepted to college. I recently updated the operating system in my computer at work - and could not continue performing my job duties until I had successfully figured out how to reinstate the automatic spell-check in my Internet browser. I'm not kidding. It's that bad.

So once again - I'm left asking myself why am I this way.

I think it may have to do with my tendency to skip over the details of life. I'm one of those people that enjoy looking at, planning for and moving towards the "big picture" but once the small items start to become big issues - I'm done. For example - I almost always have to read a book at least twice. The first time I read it I fly through the story with the sole purpose of finding out the big picture. I want to know what happens at the end, regardless of how many small details I miss along the way. So inevitably I will get to the end of the story and realize that though I read the entire book, I did not actually pay attention to it. Thus the second reading is required. Roughly the same scenario happens across all of my life - I can remember the stories and big pictures but can forget the small things. I know the words and can create the sentences - yet putting the letters in the right order always gives me trouble.



I am a bad speller. I am bothered by small details. I am blaming it all on a brain tumor.


picture: I'm smarter than I look.

No comments:

Post a Comment